Tuesday, May 1, 2007

The Jalapenos



I know it looks so innocent.

I am contemplating the food pictures of late. I must be having some issues and definitely some major cravings! I suppose one can only live on Slimfast for so long. So, for now I am going with it, (the craving thing). I made this the other night for dinner/snack. I ran to Albertsons in a major hurry as Doug was getting ready to leave town and I didn't want to make him late. I wanted to get home before he left and I wanted him to taste my latest idea of what we needed to be eating. I am rushing through Albertsons trying to remember all that I need for my pico de gallo. Lilli is with me and I am trying to encourage her to" hurry, hurry", (family motto). I find the tomatoes, garlic, avocado, fresh cilantro, yes, I have onions at home, the jalapeños can't forget that bit of spice. Where are the new baked Tostito chips? Where could they be? This is taking too long *XO*!&? Where can they be? I really need those chips, half the fat and so yummy... Ok they're sold out... I give up! I hate this store! I rush home and start chopping...wait...I have no limes...no fresh limes? I can't possibly make this recipe without fresh limes...lovely... Hurry ,hurry back to store. Yea got my limes. Now, I haven't made this version of my recipe in awhile and the jalapeños were looking really fresh and yummy and we need some spice right? Chop, chop, hurry hurry. Well, I proceeded to chop up two quite large, fresh, jalapeños to add to my yummy treat. Now, I'm really not clueless, I was just in a hurry and isn't it really just hear say that the seeds are spicy? To say the least, we had the spice of our lives going on. Doug tried it and was so nice, as he was having coughing fits and grabbing glassfuls of water, milk, etc. He says "really it's good , uh huh." ( orange soda days all over again) :) So, I try it...what was I thinking? And no I didn't really think of removing the seeds, I was just really hungry. It was WAY too spicy. I did force myself to eat it though because it looked really good, plus I was hungry, had been to the store twice for it and was not letting it go to waste. Who would have thought such a tiny, little, fresh looking thing could have so much taste in it...oh those jalapeños!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Anything with jalepenos in it is already too spicy for me! That was quite the cooking adventure :-)

dawnae said...

I love your food pics....they are so pretty! Last time I went to the store I could not find the baked tostitos either....I am afraid they are not making them anymore!!!

Doug said...

Wow, look at that fancy ̃n!

The pico de gallo was really good. I was hoping to try it again; I'm sure that it has had time to mellow a bit.

So you are now admitting that you didn't remove any seeds from the peppers? At the time, the story was, "I might have missed a few. I was in a hurry!"

A jalapẽno is a paltry 8000 Scovilles. There was a little blurb in National Geographic about the Naga peppers from India that are around one million Scovilles. Let's stick with the jalapẽnos!

Janae said...

Thanks for the good info. Doug...

I am not admitting to not removing any seeds at all... I kind of cheated on my ñ. I am sorry to say :(

Cindy said...

It looks so yummy! It's too bad it was too spicy! I'd love that recipe, though! I also think your food pictures have been wonderful!

Matt said...

Janae, your pico de gallo looks good, I'm sorry it was a little too spicy to enjoy.

On my mission, in my first area (San Antonio), we went to dinner at some investigators' house. They had a little bottle of Chiltepin peppers on their table, like somebody might have a bottle of ketchup. I asked what they were (as best as I could, one week out of the MTC) and then ate one or some or something. All I remember is thinking I might need to be hospitalized, and winding up with little white blisters on my lips were some of the juice had touched. I see on Doug's chart that the Chilpetins have a Scoville rating of 50,000-100,000. Yikes.

The only good thing to come out of it is the ability to eat jalapanos with no ill effect.

How the heck do you make an enyay anyway?

LaRae said...

The pico sure looks good! Those jalapeños can be lethal to those of us who can only hand a few hundred scovilles (new word - thanks uncle doug! - would make for a good Balderdash question). I know it is a big bummer when you put a lot of effort into something & it doesn't turn out the way you hope - it's happened to me too many times to count!