Friday, June 22, 2007

What ever happened to?


I don't know what happened in the last 15 something years but...whatever happened to the little rooms in the video store that you were not allowed in unless you were 21? These precious little rooms that saved young minds from corruption and confusion . I have to say I am missing these little rooms for the fact that my kids have to look at some really yucky stuff that's out there! I am not an extremely bossy person (at least I like to think I'm not.) and if Joe the schmo really needs to watch his "Girls Gone Wild" then could the store let him go and find that video behind the door to that little room? I just think it is beyond ridiculous to have something like "Girls Gone Really Wild" next to "Cinderella 3". This really feels like an infringement on my rights to not be able to take my child to the video store with out exposing them to trash! Come on Block Buster, get with it! Has society become so numb that we don't realize what we are doing to our kids minds? I am not a fanatic. Remember I am all into moderation. The cable guy called me last night trying to help me "upgrade" my account for only ten dollars more a month and then I can have MTV!! Well, whoopee!!! I tried to explain how I didn't want MTV and then he tried to sell me on PAX TV. Now, maybe PAX has some great shows, and I don't want to be judgmental here, but PAX? Come on now, I'm not a MTV girl, but also really not a PAX girl. I had to tell him "Look, I'm not a fanatic I just don't want my kids exposed to crap on MTV." Well, he quickly got off the phone with me and I think he was a bit scared. Well, at least I have a new way to get rid of telemarketers:) Now, I just need a way to bring back that little room at Block Buster for those of us who would like to be spared.

7 comments:

Janet Patrice said...

The little room, back in the day, was for the 'porn' movies, it was not the type of room you are hoping for now. The porn industry actually makes more money yearly than the "regular" movie industry, and that is without the little rooms at Blockbuster anymore... Mabye renting movies from Blockbuster.com may be an option for your family. Does Utah still have that store that rents the R rated movies that have been "un-R rated" with different words etc? Or did the lawsuit go through prohibiting that type of thing?

Just wondering --- Janet

Matt said...

Two words. Net Flix. We finally made the move last week. Cheaper, more convenient, and you can watch stuff online instantly if you don't want to wait for a day for stuff to arrive in the mail. I am not super freaked out in general, but the last time I took boomer into the movie gallery I took one look at all the gross horror stuff and decided to get out of there as quick as I could. You could see him staring at stuff trying to figure it out. I really think the days of the local video store are numbered, and that number is low.

dawnae said...

I agree. You should say something to block buster like ;you will not shop there anymore.

Unknown said...

I hear ya! I refuse to take our kids into a movie store. There are too many disturbing images staring them in the face. I am enjoying Net Flix and we can control what movies come into our home, but we still get exposed to the disturbing images as we browse on-line.

Anonymous said...

We had Netflix, which rules, but we recently canceled it because we weren't watching enough movies to justify the price.

However, when I went to BlockBuster last Friday with Janae, I remembered why I hate going there. I didn't notice "Girls Gone Wild" (honest!); what really stood out was all of the straight-to-video horror movies.

Yuck. If we live in a country where that kind of sick crap is profitable, I'm not skimping on fire insurance. Again, YUCK!

Joey, on Netflix, rate highly some movies that you liked, and any that disgust you, rate "not interested." There's probably an overall preference to exclude certain genres too. After a bit of training Netflix did a good job filtering away the evil filth.

Gina said...

I so agree with you on movie rental places.

We are so mean to telemarketers... you were kind compared to us.

LaRae said...

I don't understand why Girls Gone Really Wild was next to Cinderella III. At our video store we usually head straight to the family/kid section & I haven't noticed this problem before. Maybe it's just in Utah - I've heard it's a pretty liberal state! ;)

Did you complain to the manager on duty?