Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Is Store Bought Bread Worth The Calories?



I have decided No. So, this is my new past time, making bread. Plus, isn't it healthier anyway? I used to make homemade bread for a treat every now and then when we had soup for dinner. Now, it has become our staple. So far, so good, I have not bought bread in 2 weeks now. The kids still think it's some great treat though and I have been making bread constantly. Is this how I want to spend my time? I'm still not sure on that one. I would like to double the recipe and see if I freeze half of it, is frozen homemade bread worth it? I have not experimented with this yet. So, it's all a work in progress.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks yummy and I bet it tastes yummy...but it also looks like a lot of work! Freezing some would make sense to me...but I'm not a baking bread expert, so you might not want my input.

LaRae said...

Can I come over for some of that bread? I can almost smell it. Your kids are so lucky to have such a great mom. I have decided that the only "store-bought" bread that is worth the calories is Great Harvest - so that's what I buy (with the exception of some sourdough now & then). Baking my own bread would certainly be a lot more economical!

Matt said...

Wow. I am impressed. I don't have the patience to let it rise. Thats a pretty big project. We use our bread machine about once a week or once every two weeks. Its yummy, but its cool you know the old school way. Some day I want to make a loaf of bread that is baked on a big pizza stone with now bread pan. I used to buy bread like that in Portland all the time. Sometimes I miss it.

lexi said...

yum!!! our(your)bread is the best!!!

Anonymous said...

sometimes i have to shake myself to think i have such awesome daughters! and to think i am blessed with three of them! wow! yes, you can freeze homemade bread just make it airtight it should last at least two weeks or more.you are an awesome wife, mom, and homemaker, and r.s. enrichment person! they are very fortunate to have you! i love the pics on the blog. love mom