Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Cousin Camp 2008 - Junior Style

My mom has insisted on a Cousins Camp at her cabin every year since she built the cabin. I must admit it is a lot of work, but definitely worth the outcome. The cousins have so much fun together and have great bonding time. We have nature walks, crafts, and painting galore. This is the first year we split cousin camp into two different times. We realized that our age groups were getting to diverse. We have gone to a camp for the young ones and a girls camp for the big girls. *The above picture is a fun example of our jr. campers trying to pay close attention;)

I was pretty amazed that Nicolette wanted to be a part of the group. She tried hard to sit still...well, some of the time.

The toddlers thoroughly enjoyed the painting episodes.

Ava and her cousin Lacey are now our big jr. campers, since they are the oldest in this group. I think they really enjoyed being "queens" of the bunk room.

Vivien took all of her projects VERY seriously:)

This was a fun project that Aunt Katie was in charge of...very fun and very cute. Keep looking below for the final outcome.

This was a project I was in charge of...pretty cute? Now, some people might think since Cousin Camp is my moms idea that she runs the whole thing and we all get a break from our kids...yeah right! We are all given food and project assignments. I was excited I was able to actually think up a somewhat fun project this year. (the hand print was Aunt Katie's idea), I would love to take credit for that part of it but...I won't!

Every year we have a theme to camp. This year was "We Are Family". This was kind of my lame project...we made sugar cookie families...come on it's cute!

The back of the shirts were super cute!

Nicolette decided to chill out by Aunt Katie...which Nicolette isn't the friendliest kid around so, I thought this was pretty cute. And...a very cute picture of Aunt Katie:)

Here is our group of cousins giving Mammy their Aunt Katie project.

Here is the result, an apron with all of the kiddies hand prints on it! Way to go Aunt Katie...very cute idea:)

We even got baby Joey's foot print on the apron.

Here starts the series of unimaginable chaotic picture taking. Every year we get a group picture at the end of camp. This year was beyond hysterical. Here is just a sampling of us trying to get a group picture...

pretty impossible with this group...

Nicolette and Ben seem to be going into some sort of cardiac arrest at this point.

We tried switching locations and I think that helped a bit.

This is probably our best shot...unfortunately Dawnae's arm is in it...oh well! Good times, good times;)

Another great Cousin Camp! Thanks Mom for all of your efforts:)

10 comments:

dawnae said...

Wow I am impressed that you already have this post up! things have been crazy!!! love the group photo with my arm...however it looks super deformed and we could tell everybody it is a bird taking flight!

patsy said...

Oh my gosh- you're family is so cool & your mom is amazing. I want to do this when I have grandkids. My sister & I do a cousins camp every summer it's supposed to be next week & I was thinking of canceling... maybe I'll just stop whining & do it!?

Melanie said...

Looks like another great cousin camp! I remember one year when we struggled an struggled to get a picture of all the grandkids. After 45 minutes I was about to cry, and most of the kids were already crying. Then this elderly couple came up and said, "Thanks for making our day. We've been watching you with all those cute kids and it has been so much fun."

Kristy said...

How fun! This is when I wish I came from a bigger family and we had more than 1 cousin. The crafts are way cute and sugar cookies I loved it!!!

What a fun memory to have!

Katie said...

Oh, those picures were a nightmare, though slightly comical. I dont know how you and Larae manage to get such good pictures of me...Im so lucky! Cousin camp was pretty good this year, glad you were there to document it for posteritys sake.

Unknown said...

I know cousins camp is a lot of work (especially now that you have two different camps!), but I also know that all of the kids are going to cherish the memories made there. You are all so creative! I think the first cousin picture after the location switch came out good, a few crying children is expected with that age group. :-)

wende said...

i'm getting tired just looking at these photos, but it looks worth it, you guys are so fun! and i LOVE the sugar cookie families, that is a way cute idea!

what great memories they all will have, and how smart you were to divide the two age groups, the older girls will love having the time on their own.

ps, i can photo shop larae's arm out of that photo for you...i'll work on that while you're gone. :)

Karrie said...

Wow...I was tired just thinking about getting all of those Jr. campers to sit still for a picture...you guys did great!

I loved the sugar cookie family...good idea.

Kristin said...

what a fun camp! after talking to larae abput your cousins camp i decided my mom needed to have one but knowing my mom i knew if i left it up to her it would never happen so i det a date last christmas and we all pulled it off. the difference in age was hard considering we ranged from 18-2 months but it was fun. the kids are looking forward to next year!

Anna Marie said...

Janae you seriously have the cutest girls. What a fun summer activity.