Long Ago...
This is the side yard of the place I grew up. I have been thinking of this place lots lately. I really had a nice uneventful childhood. I grew up on a culdesac surrounded by wonderful neighbors and tons of young friends to play with. I think summer brings out the most memories for me. We spent so many dog days of summer running around that culdesac and playing long and hard till we were forced to come inside.
Sometimes I do wish I could go back to those nice days where my biggest problem was who was I going to play with for the day. Those days where my biggest responsibility was to get myself dressed. I would love to go back for a day and feel that freedom that only comes with being a kid. It is extremely ironic because as a kid I didn't realize the freedom of being a child and so wanted to grow up.
I have been thinking of my childhood friends and missing those days of fun and leisure:) It is hard once we grow up, the realities of life and trials that come to each of us. One dear friend Heidi, who has since passed on. Also, I have to mention Stephanie and the trial she has recently gone through. I am so amazed by her strength and testimony. I have read her blog and gained so much in my life lately from her example.
I would take us all back, even for just one day, so that we could feel that freedom that only comes with childhood. The freedom from the world's worries and the trials that come to each of us as adults. I am more determined than ever to teach my children to enjoy those moments in life where they are and not wish them away, because we don't get them back. I am grateful to be able to catch a glimpse of these moments through my little ones. My children are my greatest blessings and joy. Thank you Stephanie...I have held them tighter and hugged them longer like you have asked.


6 comments:
To go back to the days where our only responsibility is to get ourselves dressed...even for a day would be nice!
I have visited Stephanie's blog several times now and I cry every time I read a post. I'm glad she is still writing and sharing her experiences. I just can't imagine what she is going through. It breaks my heart.
Wow! I read Stephanie's blog....I'm in tears ...you're right we need to hold them and love them everyday! I was watching the girls today and thinking almost the same things you said in you blog today. I would love to just worry about getting dressed for the day and who to play with. I'm excited for breakfast tomorrow
Great post Janae. I left a comment on Stephanie's blog for her. Kind of dumb but maybe it will help.
It was good to see you today at breakfast and I am excited about the b-bque tomorrow.
:)
Beautiful post- I'm working up the courage to go over to your friends blog... tough times.
Life brings so many different things. Thanks for the reminder to enjoy the present & be grateful for the past.
oh man, stephanie's story is heartbreaking, i just don't know how you ever get past something that tragic.
this was a great post janae, thanks for the reminder of the fondness of childhood and to hug my kids a little tighter today.
childhood is our time in eden, i wish kids only wish i would've known it was my eden at the time!
Hi Janae,
I'm Wende's cousin & I checked out your "dancing girls" post because my "little girl" (just turned 18) danced since she was 2. Loved the post! Brought back all kinds of memories. I'm in the tearful mode of now having to pack away all those tutus now that she has moved away. I can't bring myself to get rid of them.
I also checked out Stephanie's site. What a tear jerker. What lessons I learned. I'm ashamed I have to learn lessons this way & can't just be a great mom without another mom's heartbrake.
Post a Comment