Any Suggestions?
OK.....can I just start this by saying...I love blogging. For one, it has helped me keep a "somewhat" kind of journal for the last few months. It has been a kind of record of the goings on in my life, that I know I otherwise would in no possible way remember. It has been a fun outlet and a great way to keep in touch with family, friends, etc.
Now, can I just say I am seriously thinking of forgetting the whole thing! I am a relatively private person. So, when I thought about blogging, I new that having my life floating out there in cyberspace might pose a bit of a problem for me. However, I have left my inhibitions (most of them) at the door. I just thought well, the good out weighs the bad and with some things in life we have to go with that measure.
This evening I happened upon a realization that some random person from Ogden Utah Googled me by my maiden name and got on my blog.....well, to quote my Grandpa Z...What in the S-- H--- is that all about? Who do I know in Ogden Utah? OK, one friend who would so NOT Google me by my maiden name. Anyway, I just don't know if I really want to be out here for every Tom, Dick, and Harry.
Now, comments do help...so if your in Ogden and Googling people by their maiden names, go ahead and leave a comment. ( I promise...leaving a comment never killed anyone). Doug thinks I have gone off my rocker completely and he says..."by the way A LOT of people out there know you by your maiden name...I mean A LOT" (btw-thanks sweetie;)!! So, shall I just give it all up and leave this blogging world and the Toms, Dicks, and Harry's, out there. The funny thing is, I don't mind the random people. I love to look at other "random" peoples blogs I don't know. I feel like we are all in the same place in this blogging world and it's fun. I guess it's just these people lurking in the background I don't know about that make me cringe, just a bit.
So, what is the answer? Is it possible I am being overly paranoid? I suppose I just don't want people looking my up on Google. Is that too much to ask?


11 comments:
Well, one, you can't prevent anyone looking you up on google. Which you already know. Two, who is it that you know from your past that you don't want to know about your present, (rhetorical question). Three, if this or these persons from your past know about your present, what are the implications of that for your peace of mind. Four, Maybe give up the site meter??? Then you wouldn't know who is on your blog....but then I am assuming that is how you know that someone googled you. Only you can answer these questions, and only you can determine if the price is too great. If it really freaks you out, then we will miss you, but your peace of mind is more important. I know that you can make your blog be private, and only people you invite can access it...maybe that is the answer?
I've been pondering on this little experience of yours today, wondering what I might suggest. First, I am sure that Doug meant it in the nicest of ways that a lot of people knew you by your maiden name - you were certainly popular - right?
Anyway - I understand that you don't want people looking you up in google - I don't either - but unfortunately, there's not a thing we can do about that. I have to admit that sometimes out of curiousity I have googled the name of someone I knew way back when - just to see if I could find out anything about them now - where they are, what they have been doing. I haven't ever had much luck, but it is certainly out of just wanting to know what was up with a friend or even acquaintance from long ao & nothing more. Had I ran across a blog, I probably would have taken a peek & it is quite possible that I wouldn't have left a comment.
That being said, I also understand your feelings of invasion, so to speak, and I completely get that it would make you feel uncomfortable - particularly because of the way you were "found".
I would hate to see you stop something you love. I would hate for you to stop because I like being able to check in with your family on a daily basis. Protecting your blog through a password is certainly an option.
btw - love the grandpa Z quote! Haven't thought about those words in a while.
so go private then. only the people who you allow can view your blog. That is partly why I dont restart my blog. I know how you feel about people from " the past" finding out stuff about you... creepy!
Katie Z
katie, I have been wondering why I couldn't find your blog!!!! I am disappointed!!! I was wondering what the heck happened? :(
OK - so one more thought - your mysterious visitor only viewed 4 pages. That tells me it was someone only somewhat interested in what was up with you. It's not like they were lurking for hours, checking out every page on your blog. Right?
If you are worried about google, then never pay $9.00 to one of those people search places because you will be freaked out to see every address you ever lived in, the names of all the people you have ever lived with (parents, kids, roommates) and everything else you thought was private. Its not. :(
On the other hand, as Dawnae said, why worry.
I think having a private blog is a good idea...as long as you invite me!
I do understand your concern.
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions! I figure I am not one to let other random people control my life so, I won't start now. I love blogging and keeping a record of things going on here. So, here I go to keep blogging:)
Hooray! I was wondering what you were going to do. Looking forward to your next blog post!
janae i would do as larae does and control the blog a bit more. in todays world we do have to be careful and esp. with children etc. i would just get a password and invite people. that is how our readers blog is and it is not hard you could check with lesli how to do it as she set up our readers blog. w ho the heck do you know in ogden perhaps a roomate. just take precautions and keep going! love mom
not to be a nag, but do you plan on doing any new posts some time in the near future? I am wondering what is up with the Ericksons!
Post a Comment